- Niyamas -- Precepts of Invididual Discipline
- Sauca -- Cleanliness. Not only external cleanliness of the body, but attending to internal cleanliness such as avoiding the impurities of anger and egoism. Moderation in diet.
- Santosa -- Contentment. Not spiritual complacency, but acceptance of the external situation we are allotted in this life.
- Tapas -- Austerity. Deep commitment to our yoga practice. "Blazing practice with religious fervor."
- Svadhyaya -- Self-study. Spiritual self-education. Contemplation and application of the scriptures or sacred texts of our chosen path.
- Isvara pranidhana -- Surrender of the self to God. Acknowledgement that there is a higher principle in the universe than one's own small self. Modesty. Humility.